Wednesday, August 15, 2012

19-20 races huh?

So Indycar is looking to expand its 2013 schedule to have 19-20  races, I'm not 100% sold that this is the best plan, but lets go with it. Here are some places I want to see added and subtracted from the current roster. Let me know what you all think!

Races to add:

Chicagoland - this track has always produced outstanding races, they just need to work on promoting the race more.

Montreal - I went to this track a few years ago for the NASCAR nationwide race, its amazing! Also the whole city was excited for the race, they literally shut down a street and had a big street fest for the race the night before, let them embrace indycar the same way!

Pocono - This track I'm really 50-50 on. I think it could really be an awesome race if they let it be.

Austin - The circuit of the americas is looking pretty good right now! I can't wait to see what F1 does there, but I think it has good potential to be an amazing facility.

Nashville - Was going to say Kentucky, but Nashville has the potential for more people to show up in my opinion. We need to slowly get a few more ovals on the schedule again. This was always a good place to go, and would make for a fun location for the fans.


Races to subtract:

Milwaukee - yes, I am probably going to get slaughtered for this one. I know it won't go away in 2013 because of their contract, but I have never been a fan. Been there multiple times and usually leave early. Think the track just doesn't produce great races like it used to.



Races to keep:

Indy - Hello, do I even have to say anything.

St. Pete - Always a crowd pleaser, and generally draws a ton of fans.

Belle Isle - Needs some work, but I think with a couple more years could turn into an awesome race for the series.

Long Beach - The history of the place is enough to keep it alone, plus its another fan favorite.

Barber - I was impressed with this years racing. The place knows how to put on a show and draw in the crowd.

Iowa - we need the ovals, despite what some people believe.

Texas - always a great show under the lights, racing at its finest.

Toronto - Racing is good for the most part.

Edmonton - This place gets dramatic, love the push and pull that goes on.

Baltimore - As long as they get all of their funding issues worked out. The track layout was great, produced good passing and kept people watching.

Sonoma - Great racing, great location.

Fontana - Again we need ovals to stick around, they produce the BEST indycar action.

Mid-Ohio - always a great weekend for fans

Sao Paulo - Wanted to put this on the races to subtract list, but I will leave this one for one more year.


That would be a total of 19 races, there are several other tweaks I would make over the next 2-3 years. I would def take a few more away, but hitting 19 is hard if you do that. I know that some of the races i would like to add are not ever going to happen, but its my pipe dream ;) I will be interested to see how things actually fall in the end. I hope that they don't add races just to add races, they need to really work on product placement and promotion in the next couple of years.

1 comment:

  1. I with you keep all the current events (I include Milwaukee) but I'd trade Detroit for MIS. they've added Houston so that gives me four

    Add

    Watkins Glen, in my opinion the best natural terrain road course in the US and major historical points.

    Pocono, Turns modeled off of Trenton Indianapolis and Milwaukee SCREAMS INDYCAR!!! to me.

    Gateway in St. Louis Kind of an untapped motorsports market. New management would love a major event. facility could use a little work and it's location isn't the greatest but it's a great track for these cars.

    I'll take Nashville for the fourth since it's unique 1.33 miles concrete. Being close to Firestone would be it's major draw. Michael Andretti could rent it out or Green Savorie could rent or buy.

    Others just outside

    NOLA Motorsports or Miller Motorsports park Both new markets can be a bit of a risk. Miller's interesting don't know much about NOLA though.

    Chicagoland nice place and only 2 hours from me but they only drew about 5,000 for a Nationwide race where 80% of the ticets were only $30.

    New Hampshire one shot on a rainy day is kind of a bum deal it needed another 1 or 2 before giving up

    Montreal great and I totally kick ass there on video games. They can only use it twice a year and I don't see NASCAR or Bernie wanting to share.

    Austin would be great but I think it's kind of wait and see how the USGP does for both CotA and IndyCar.

    Phoenix is one I really want on the schedule but the track is being real wishy washy on the whole thing.

    Kentucky would be good but I think IndyCar would have to promote it. I don't think they care now that they have a Cup race and it is kind of unsafe (for any kind of racing) since they re-did the apron around 1 and 2 and along the back straight.





    ReplyDelete